History


The Brisbane Racing Club (BRC) was formed on 1 July 2009 - the result of a merger between the Queensland Turf Club (QTC) and the Brisbane Turf Club (BTC).  The amalgamation of the former two clubs was the first of its kind for the Australian Racing Industry.

Eagle Farm Racecourse History - Tulloch winning horse

 

Eagle Farm Racecourse

Racing began on this site in 1865, with the finest thoroughbreds in Australasia having graced this historic course; we remember the mighty Tulloch, and salute the famous “Kiwi” Rough Habit. With a turf track 28 metres wide, a circumference of 2.027 metres and a home straight of 434 metres; Eagle Farm has welcomed thousands of race goers and some, like the aviator Bert Hinkler in 1928 and American service personnel in 1941, have visited for less conventional reasons.

Doomben Racecourse History

Doomben Racecourse

Racing began on this site in the 1930’s, with a turf track 26 metres wide, a circumference of 1715 metres and a home straight of 350 metres, Doomben was long admired for its garden setting and its legendary ‘Straight Six’. Bernborough (some say the greatest of them all) won the Doomben 10,000 and the Doomben Cup here in 1946 on his way to 15 consecutive victories. In recent times, the racecourse has welcomed the internationally recognised Black Caviar and polo teams from around the world.

 

 


 

Thoroughbred History Association inc.

The Brisbane Racing Club, in association with the Thoroughbred Racing History Association Inc., have created a dedicated heritage unit with a brief to preserve the history of thoroughbred horse-racing in Queensland and to welcome you to the Eagle Farm and Doomben Racecourses; racecourses that are truly ‘museums without walls’ and which are home to the Old Tote Racing Museum (Eagle Farm) and the Archive (Doomben); comprising the James McGill Library, the Pascoe Family Pictorial Record, Stanley Collection of trophies and memorabilia and racing ephemera.

The Thoroughbred Racing History Association Inc. is a not-for-profit organisation established around 20 years ago to preserve the history of the thoroughbred industry for the general public and industry participants. It is staffed by enthusiastic volunteers who have a background in racing and are keen to exchange the knowledge stored in the archives division or on display at the Museum. We will accept any thoroughbred racing history items appropriate for inclusion in our current collection.

 


 

Join in the celebration of horses & history in Qld

*For tour bookings and archive information please contact us.
Guided group tours especially welcome.
*Please note:  The T.R.H.A is the only contact for museum tours and archive information.

Head Office & Research Centre:

Doomben Racecourse - 75 Hampden Street Ascot Qld 4007
Facilities open Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 10am to 2pm
Telephone: 07 3630 2245 (out-of-hours message system available)
07 3630 2245 (Wednesday 10am/3pm) or 07 3268 2171

Mail:

PO Box 817 Hamilton Central Qld 4007 (Brisbane Racing Club)
PO Box 7394 East Brisbane Qld 4169 (The Thoroughbred Racing History Association Inc.)
Email: heritage@brc.com.au
Website: www.thoroughbredracinghistoryassoc.org.au
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ThoroughbredHistory/

 


 

A Tribute to Racing - 'Past and Present'