Global Recognition and Prizemoney Boost for Channel 7 Brisbane Racing Carnival presented by TAB
Thursday, 24 January 2019
We received very encouraging news today about the Channel 7 Brisbane Racing Carnival presented by TAB with significant prizemoney boosts and international recognition of our racing.
The world’s top-rating races for 2018 were released overnight, with our carnival providing three of the races.
The KIRIN Doomben 10,000 (26th), the Altus Traffic Kingsford Smith Cup (52nd) and the Hardy Brothers Doomben Cup (91st) featured in a list of the top 100 Group 1 races across the world in 2018.
The list includes races from the likes of Longchamp, Royal Ascot, Churchill Downs, Epsom Downs, Sha Tin, Meydan and Kyoto. Australia provided 31 of the top 100 races, highlighting the strength of our industry.
The Doomben 10,000 has been high on the list in recent years and has now become established as one of the world’s best sprint races. Racing Queensland has acknowledged the Doomben 10,000’s reputation in its prizemoney allocation for this year’s Channel 7 Brisbane Racing Carnival presented by TAB.
Racing Queensland today announced the following prizemoney increases for 2019:
• Doomben 10,000 – from $700,000 to $800,000
• Doomben Cup – from $650,000 to $700,000
• Brisbane Cup – from $300,000 to $400,000
• BRC Sires’ Produce – from $250,000 to $400,000
• PJ O’Shea Stakes – from $200,000 to $400,000
• Champagne Classic – from $175,000 to $200,000
• Bill Carter Stakes – from $100,000 to $200,000
Our sprinting triple crown – the TAB Doomben 10,000, TAB Kingsford Smith Cup and the TAB Stradbroke Handicap – now boasts a combined prizemoney pool of $3 million. This unique series of races requires horses to prove their mettle under weight-for-age and handicap conditions and across the different challenges presented by Doomben and Eagle Farm.
These prizemoney increases add to the excitement around our carnival as we prepare to return to Eagle Farm this year. Doomben has provided remarkable service in recent years and the ratings released overnight reflect the work of our tracks and maintenance team.
Doomben will again host the Treasury Brisbane Queensland Oaks this year as Racing Queensland carefully manages Eagle Farm’s return to a full racing schedule. This year’s carnival will feature the following meetings and Group 1 races:
• Saturday May 11 – Doomben – TAB Doomben 10,000
• Saturday May 18 – Doomben – Hardy Brothers Doomben Cup Day
• Saturday May 25 – Eagle Farm – TAB Kingsford Smith Cup
• Saturday June 1 – Doomben – Treasury Brisbane Queensland Oaks
• Saturday June 8 – Eagle Farm – TAB Stradbroke Handicap, Channel 7 Queensland Derby, KIRIN J.J. Atkins
We will also feature black-type racing at Doomben on Saturday 20 April and Eagle Farm on Saturday 27 April as we prepare for the Channel 7 Brisbane Racing Carnival presented TAB.
We look forward to seeing you at the races over the summer.