Racing Queensland introduces Future Champions Series
Monday, 11 November 2019
A new-look TAB Queensland Racing Carnival will be staged in 2020 with the introduction of the $2.25 million Future Champions Series. Staged at the Brisbane Racing Club, the Future Champions Series for two-year-olds will include:
- $250,000 Group 2 Champagne Stakes (1200m), Doomben, May 9;
- $1 million Group 2 Sires’ Stakes (1400m), Eagle Farm, May 23; and
- $1 million Group 1 JJ Atkins (1600m), Eagle Farm, June 6.
This will be the first time that the established two-year-old races have been joined as a series that recognises the history of Brisbane’s juvenile features.
Over the years, the honour roll across the three races includes The Autumn Sun, Zoustar, Brazen Beau, Press Statement, Sizzling, Darci Brahma, Show A Heart, Mossman, Mahogany, Winning Rupert and Melody Belle.
In the process, the Future Champions Series will provide more than $1 million in prize money increases including $600,000 for the Sires’ Stakes and $400,000 for the JJ Atkins.
“The TAB Queensland Carnival has long been a springboard to stardom for two-year-olds,” Racing Queensland CEO Brendan Parnell said.
“Having turbo-charged our Summer Carnival, we’re looking forward to enhancing Winter with record prize money for our late season two-year-olds.
“With the new QTISx bonuses on top of the $1 million Sires’ Produce and the $1 million JJ Atkins, there will be more than $3 million up for grabs for juveniles next year.”
Having launched the careers of some of Australia’s greatest modern racing horses, Brisbane Racing Club Chairman Neville Bell said the Series would be a welcomed addition to the Winter Carnival.
“These races really are the nursery of Australia’s modern racing history and we’re thrilled to be collaborating with Racing Queensland for this Series,” Mr Bell said.
“This is an innovative Series that will only increase the interest in these races and the Winter Carnival as a whole.”
Nominations for the Future Champions Series close on December 6 followed by first acceptances on January 21 and second acceptances on April 28.
All nominations will be automatically entered for the three races that comprise the Series.
Key dates for the Future Champions Series:
- Friday, December 6, 2019 (2PM) - $330
- Friday, December 13, 2019 (2PM) - $550
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 (2PM) - $495 (Same day as Second Acceptance for the Slipper)
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020 (2PM) - $660 (Same day as Stradbroke Nominations)
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020 (9AM) – Nil (Champagne Stakes);
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020 (9AM) – $5,500 (Sires’ Stakes); and
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020 (9AM) – $5,500 (JJ Atkins).
Final Late Nomination & Acceptances
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020 (9AM) – $2,200 (Champagne Stakes);
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020 (9AM) – $44,000 (Sires’ Stakes); and
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020 (9AM) – $44,000 (JJ Atkins).