Bernborough Ascot set to be the greenest retirement community in Australia
Wednesday, 3 March 2021
Lendlease’s $270 million development at Doomben Racecourse, Bernborough Ascot is set to be the most sustainable retirement community in Australia, after securing the sector’s first 6 Star Green Star Communities rating from the Green Building Council of Australia.
Lendlease scored the top sustainability rating for Bernborough Ascot for a range of initiatives including:
• Design: The spacious homes have been strategically and sustainably designed by Marchese Partners. They are positioned to maximise cooling breezes and cross flow ventilation, lengthen shade periods and provide optimal environments. The buildings are connected by walkways and green spaces and with access to communal gardens and amenities. Bernborough Ascot is located in a convenient location, close to public transport.
• Renewable energy and water efficiency: Onsite solar panels will supply the community with energy. Water Sensitive Urban Design principles used in the design of the project will help reduce potable water consumption. Rainwater tanks will supply water for irrigation for the precinct’s gardens.
• Landscaping: Plants selected for the precinct’s gardens and living walls will flourish in Brisbane’s subtropical climate and will not require intensive watering.
• Heritage: To save a 70-80-year-old weeping fig tree, an intensive 17-weeks was spent working with tree experts to relocate the 140-tonne tree to another part of the community. Independent analysis of the tree’s health shows it is thriving in its new location in the community and is expected to live up to 200 years.
• Community: Bernborough Ascot is part of the Brisbane Racing Clubs Doomben and Eagle Farm masterplan precinct, which when complete will be Brisbane’s largest master planned intergenerational community.
The integrated retirement living community is being constructed in stages, with the first stage opened in October 2020.
When completed, Bernborough Ascot will feature 300 large luxury independent living apartments and penthouse style homes, lifestyle amenities including a bowls green, health and wellness studio with a pool, spa, gymnasium and consulting rooms, a rooftop terrace, restaurant and outdoor dining areas.
Lendlease is a property industry leader in sustainability, announcing in August 2020 its most ambitious climate change targets. Lendlease is now a 1.5ºC aligned company with a commitment to achieving ‘Net Zero Carbon’ for scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2025 and ‘Absolute Zero Carbon’ across all operations, including the supply chain, by 2040.
Lendlease Retirement Living Trust achieved first place in the 2020 GRESB sustainability ranking for real estate in the Asia Pacific, in the Residential Non-Listed category. GRESB, the Global Real Estate Assessment, is the environmental, social and governance (ESG) benchmark for real estate assets.
For more information about Green Star certification visit www.gbca.org.au
Quotes attributed to Managing Director of Lendlease Retirement Living, Nathan Cockerill:
“Bernborough Ascot residents will benefit from the sustainability measures we’re delivering – not just in terms of driving down energy and water bills but also the lifestyle and health outcomes from living in such a green community.
“Delivering environmental and social outcomes, alongside financial, have been hallmarks of Lendlease since our inception – and continue to be cornerstones of our company globally. Bernborough Ascot will certainly set a new benchmark for Lendlease retirement living projects and the sector.”
Quotes attributed to Davina Rooney, CEO of the Green Building Council of Australia:
“This is an Australian-first achieving a 6 Star Green Star Communities rating for a retirement community masterplan and I congratulate Lendlease on their sustainability leadership. This certification means Bernborough Ascot is at a world-leading standard and its residents and surrounding community are now poised to enjoy the enormous benefits sustainable buildings create for people.”
Quote attributed to Chairman of Brisbane Racing Club, Neville Bell:
“The BRC is thrilled to see Lendlease achieve the 6-star green star rating for Bernborough Ascot. It’s a demonstration of our shared focus on sustainability. We’re committed to a sustainable future for the race club and the masterplan and Bernborough Ascot is playing an important role in this journey.”
For more information, please contact:
Tamara Lovelace - State Manager, Lendlease External Affairs
0427 226 316 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to editors:
A time-lapse video of the Bernborough Ascot fig tree relocation can be viewed here